Connect with us


Arsenal lose vital Premier League title chase at Anfield with just two minutes left



Arsenal entered the game at Liverpool’s ground, where they have been failing for years, like a dream. Already after half an hour they were two goals up, but in the end Mikel Arteta’s charges can be happy for the draw. What is the situation in the Premier League?

Arsenal were already two goals up at Anfield after half an hour

The situation at the top of the Premier League is getting properly muddled. Manchester City blasted Southampton 4-1 at their ground on Saturday to put pressure on leaders Arsenal. The latter confirmed the misery of recent years on Liverpool’s pitch, giving Pep Guardiola’s team a chance to get back into the title carousel.

Although Arsenal hadn’t won a league game at Anfield in more than a decade, for a long time it looked like breaking historical statistics. For Arsenal stormed their opponents and shocked the home crowd twice in less than half an hour.

First, in the eighth minute, Gabriel Martinelli headed the ball past Alisson with the tip of his foot before another Brazilian, Gabriel Jesus, silenced the home fans with a beautiful header in the 28th minute.

Satisfaction for the visitors or a wake-up call for the home side? Maybe something of each. However, from then on, Jürgen Klopp’s charges seemed to have been doused with living water and the home side Liverpool began to dictate the pace of the match.

Arsenal were ultimately happy for a draw, chances for Manchester City

Mohamed Salah reduced the gap to a single goal before half-time. He could have equalised shortly after the change of sides after a penalty kick was awarded following a foul on Diego Jota. However, Salah’s penalty missed Aaron Ramsdale’s goal.

Just when it looked like Arsenal would snatch a vital win in the title chase, the home side equalised with just two minutes left in normal time. Alexander-Arnold broke free on the right side of the pitch and his beautiful centre was capitalised on by the substitute Firminho.

In a frantic finish, Ramsdale still had to at least salvage a draw with some amazing saves, but the scoreline was unchanged and the two teams parted amicably. Manchester City are now only six points behind leaders Arsenal and have a game to spare. At the end of the month, the title might be decided as City will welcome the Gunners at home.

Source: CANAL+ Sport, Livesport, Twitter account – CANAL+ SportCZ/SK